The great citadel of Hasbaya is a major historical emblem of the city of the same name located in southern Lebanon. Located on a hill overlooking the river, the citadel was owned by the Chehab emirs (princes). Along with medieval houses and a mosque, it is part of a complex of buildings built around a central unpaved square.
The construction of the citadel may date back to a Roman building. But its precise history is traced with that of the Crusaders. The fortress was taken from them by the Chehabs in 1172. The emirs rebuilt the building, which was again heavily damaged during conflicts throughout history, even recently: at the end of the 20th century, it was even hit by rockets during the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon.
When visiting the site, one can admire a lion (emblem of the Chehab family) on both sides of the main entrance. On the first floor are 65 rooms, the largest of which features beautiful wall paintings.